Siemens Healthineers is dedicated to providing quality bone metabolism assays that improve patient care and allow laboratories of any size to consolidate testing on the ADVIA Centaur®, IMMULITE®, and Dimension® Systems.
Siemens offers calcium measurement on all of its clinical chemistry and integrated systems, including the ADVIA® Chemistry, Dimension® and Dimension Vista® systems.
- Enhances calcium absorption in the intestines by stimulating the renal synthesis of 1,25(OH)2vitamin D
- Increases the amount of calcium in the blood through the release of PTH and the removal of calcium from the bone
- Decreases the amount of calcium by releasing less PTH
- Helps to form and maintain strong and healthy bones by increasing the amount of dietary calcium absorbed by the intestines
- Stops the parathyroid gland from secreting parathyroid hormone, which would increase levels of calcium in the blood
- Protects against osteoporosis, cancer, and hypertension
- Protein that binds to calcium; it is manufactured by the osteoblasts in bone and dentin
- A highly specific marker of late stage osteoblastic activity
- Higher serum-osteocalcin levels are relatively well correlated with increases in bone mineral density
- Excreted in urine and is a specific marker of bone resorption and osteoclastic activity.
- Used along with other bone markers to diagnose bone diseases such as osteoporosis, bone metastatis, and Paget's disease
- Useful in monitoring treatments that contain bone-active agents such as estrogens and bisphosphonates.
1Prim Care Clin Office Pract 2008;35:215-37
The products/features (mentioned herein) are not commercially available in all countries. Due to regulatory reasons their future availability cannot be guaranteed. Please contact your local Siemens organization for further details.